Truck accidents can happen anywhere in the Rockford area—a side-impact crash at the intersection of Alpine Road and East State Street, a rear-end collision on 11th Street, a head-on crash on Illinois Route 251, or a side-swipe accident on I-90. No matter where these truck accidents occur, the likely result is serious injuries and significant property damage for the occupants of the smaller vehicle. This is due to the size differential between a commercial truck and a passenger car and the immense force that a truck exerts in a collision.
Many truck accidents are the result of negligence—on the part of the truck driver or the trucking company. Following are some of the main factors that can contribute to serious truck accidents:
- Fatigue caused by driving too many hours without a break or lack of adequate sleep before starting work
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving too fast or accelerating too quickly
- Careless or reckless driving
- Improperly loaded cargo, which can lead to rollover accidents
- Underinflated truck tires, which can result in tire failure or truck handling problems
- Failing to obey the rules of the road
- Slamming on the brakes, which can lead to a jackknife accident
- Inadequate truck maintenance or substandard repair work, which can lead to equipment failure
You can do your part to help prevent accidents by staying out of a trucker’s blind spots, passing safely, and following at a reasonable distance. If you have been hurt in a truck accident, contact us today to schedule your fast, free, no-obligation consultation.