As a Machesney Park motorcycle accident lawyer, I often get asked about motorcycle safety. While fall is a gorgeous time of year to ride, it can also be dangerous due to changing weather conditions. Following are some tips to help you stay safe on the roads this fall:
- Be Observant – Although the scenery is beautiful and relaxing, it is important to stay alert, scanning for potential dangers as you ride. This extra awareness will give you plenty of time to react to potential danger and prevent a motorcycle accident in Machesney Park.
- Refresh Your Riding Skills – Your riding skills can diminish if you do not ride regularly. If it has been a while since your last ride, find an open area or deserted parking lot to practice slow-speed maneuvering and braking before you head out on a longer ride to take in the fall colors.
- Dress for the Weather – Weather changes rapidly in fall. During the day, it can be warm and sunny. Once the sun goes down, it can get very cold. If you are too cold, you may become distracted, which could result in a motorcycle accident in Machesney Park. Carry some warm gear with you to be sure you are comfortable in any weather.
- Be Prepared for Rain – Slow down in wet weather. Road conditions can quickly become slippery as oil accumulates on the surface of the road.
- Watch for Fallen Leaves – Reduce your speed when riding on a road full of fallen leaves. They can be slippery regardless of whether they are wet or dry.
- Keep an Eye Out for Frost – Although daytime conditions may be sunny, temperatures can drop rapidly at night, causing frost to accumulate on bridges and other higher elevations. Watch for these slippery areas—especially in the early morning hours.
- Be on the Lookout for Ice – As fall progresses, cold temperatures become the norm. Ice can accumulate in spots on the road due to frost, fog, car exhaust, and other fluids—even if it has not rained or snowed. Be on the lookout for these icy patches—they can be very dangerous for a motorcyclist.
- Scan for Deer – Fall is a time when deer are more active and more likely to gather in areas along the side of the road. Scan both sides of the road, especially at dawn or dusk, to watch for deer that might dart out in front of your motorcycle.
The tips listed above will help to keep you safe as you ride this fall. However, if you are injured in a Machesney Park motorcycle accident due to the carelessness of another driver, a Machesney Park motorcycle accident attorney may be able to help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Contact the experienced Machesney Park motorcycle accident attorneys at The Fisk & Monteleone Law Firm for assistance. We will take the time to understand your situation, answer your questions, and advise you on your next steps—all during a free case evaluation. Give us a call today at 888-716-7336 to schedule your obligation-free meeting.