As Rockton motorcycle crash lawyers at The Fisk & Monteleone Law Firm, we often work with motorcycle accident injury victims. The injuries are severe—broken bones, burns, limb amputations, paralysis, and brain damage—and the effects can last a lifetime. Cold-weather riding can be treacherous, so it is important to take the following additional precautions when you head out on your bike this winter:
- Dress for the weather – It is not just a matter of comfort or protection against frostbite. If you are cold, wet, and miserable, you may not be as sharp and responsive to what is going on around you. Slower reaction times can result in a Rockton motorcycle crash.
- Take it easy – Roads may be wet and icy and weather conditions may be windy and rainy. Slow down and be sure to stop and warm up often if you have a long way to go.
- Keep in mind that the weather affects everyone – Motorists may have a more difficult time seeing you in the winter due to dirty, foggy, or icy windshields. Pedestrians may not see you if they are walking with their heads down to stay warm and dry.
- Increase your following distance – Increasing your distance will ensure that you have more time to stop on wet or icy roads.
- Make sure drivers can see you – Wearing reflective clothing will help drivers see you—especially on dark mornings, at dusk, and in the evening.
- Signal your intention to turn earlier – Extra time will give motorists have more time to react.
- Check your lights regularly – Make sure they are clean and in good working order.
Winter riding can be more challenging due to changes in lighting, weather, and road conditions. Awareness and preparation can help ensure that your winter ride is a safe one. If you are hurt in an accident that was not your fault, a Rockton motorcycle crash lawyer may be able to help you obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Compassionate, skilled, and experienced, the Rockton motorcycle accident attorneys at The Fisk & Monteleone Law Firm will take the time to understand your situation, answer your questions, and help you to understand your legal options—all during a free consultation. Contact their office today at 888-716-7336 to schedule your complimentary appointment. You will be glad you did.