Drunk drivers may drive erratically—weaving in their lane, making wide turns, accelerating and decelerating repeatedly, driving on the wrong side of the road, and driving in the dark without headlights. These drivers are very unpredictable and dangerous and can easily cause a serious Loves Park car accident. Driving under the influence (DUI) is a serious problem in Winnebago County—in 2011, 1,289 drivers were arrested for the offense.
If you spot a driver whom you think may be intoxicated, you should take the following steps to keep yourself and your family safe:
- Be sure everyone in your vehicle is wearing a seat belt.
- If the drunk driver is in front of you, stay behind the vehicle, following at a safe distance. Do not attempt to pass—the drunk driver may swerve into your car.
- If the drunk driver is behind you, turn right at the next intersection so that the car can pass.
- If the drunk driver is approaching head-on, pull over as far to the right as you can and stop, sounding your horn to get his attention.
- Find a safe place to pull over and dial 9-1-1 to report the driver.
Taking these steps may help you to avoid a potentially serious Loves Park car accident. It may also be a good idea to stay off the roads between 11:00 p.m. and 4:00 a.m. on weekends, if possible, due to the increased number of impaired drivers.
If you have lost a loved one in a car accident because someone chose to drink and drive, you deserve compensation for your loss. While money cannot change what has happened, it can help you to pay outstanding medical bills, funeral costs, and provide for your family while you work to pick up the pieces. Compassionate, experienced, and driven to obtain justice, a Loves Park wrongful death attorney at The Fisk & Monteleone Law Firm will take the time to understand your situation, answer your questions, and help you to plan your next steps—all during a free consultation. Contact our office today at 888.716.7336 or fill out our online contact form to schedule your no-obligation appointment.