Let Us Begin the Healing After an Illinois Motorcycle Accident
There is nothing like the feeling of individuality and freedom when you climb on board your motorcycle and hit the open road. Riding a bike in Illinois can be one of the most rewarding experiences life has to offer. It can also afford you an inexpensive, fun way to get to and from work.
However, too many times what started out as an enjoyable ride ends in a crash. A driver doesn’t see you and turns in front of you before you can stop. A defective tire blows or brakes fail and you can’t control the motorcycle. A dangerous road condition, which should have been repaired a long time ago, causes an accident.
Sound familiar? When someone else—whether it is an individual, a company, or a government agency—makes a mistake, terrible things can happen and serious injuries can result.
Illinois Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Most of us understand that motorcycle riding is more dangerous than driving another type of vehicle. A bike has only two wheels and the rider does not have the advantage of a car body to protect him or her in an accident.
But the number and severity of motorcycle crashes in Illinois in 2011 are still shocking. Consider the facts compiled in an Illinois Department of Transportation report:
- In the year 2011 there were 3,756 motorcycle crashes in Illinois.
- 3,325 people were harmed in accidents involving bikes over 150 cc, and 544 on bikes under 150 cc.
- In all, 145 Illinois motorcyclists lost their lives on the road in 2011, an increase of 10.7 percent over the previous year.
- Finally, while motorcycles represent only 4 percent of Illinois registered vehicles, they were responsible for 15.8 percent of all Illinois traffic fatalities.
The Risks of Riding
Every biker knows that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving a car. For this reason, you are probably much more careful when you take to the road. But no matter how careful you are, sometimes it is impossible to avoid a motorcycle accident. Circumstances beyond your control often contribute to crashes. When you ride, you face unique risks including:
- Other vehicles are less likely to see you on the roadway.
- There is no protection between you and the road.
- Riding on two wheels is much less stable than driving on four.
- Motorcyclists must be much more skilled than car drivers.
- The impact of road hazards is much more severe.
- When equipment on a bike fails, the results are more likely to cause a crash.
Don’t Let Them Get Away with It
If you or a loved one is one of the unfortunate victims of a Northern Illinois motorcycle crash caused by someone else’s negligence, then you know how devastating this kind of accident can be. Property damage and serious injury— or worse — are common results.
The best thing you can do to protect yourself and your family is to consult an attorney right away. As Rockford traffic injury lawyers, we know that the sooner you seek legal help, the better your chances of success in a personal injury lawsuit.
A motorcycle accident attorney can:
- Prove that another driver or other entity was negligent.
- Help you and your family get the money you need to pay your bills.
- Deal with the insurance companies so you don’t have to.
- File all documents and court papers on time.
- Take the burden off your shoulders so you can concentrate on healing.
Call The Fisk & Monteleone Law Firm today toll free at 815-962-0044 for a free case consultation. Let us help you begin the healing. No Risk Call Fisk.