More than 1,200 nursing homes are in Illinois and offer care to at least 100,000 residents of the state. While most nursing homes offer quality care, sometimes, nursing home neglect and abuse happen. If you or a loved one is in a Rockford, Illinois nursing home, you may wonder what to do if there is nursing home neglect or abuse. Our nursing home neglect attorneys in Rockford at Fisk & Monteleone can assist you today.
Signs Of Nursing Home Neglect And Abuse
Nursing home abuse and neglect can happen in many ways. Sometimes the workers causing harm to you or your loved ones may not intend it, but the harm is always the same. In the worst cases, nursing home neglect and abuse can cause severe injuries and even death. For example, 135 nursing home neglect cases in Illinois last year led to an ER visit, so this problem often happens in Illinois. Some of the signs of nursing home neglect in Illinois are:
- Pressure sores and bed sores
- Medication errors
- Breathing tubes clogged
- Poor nutrition
- Elder abuse
- Sexual assault
- Wandering from the facility
- Sepsis and other infections
Also, the following situations could be a sign of nursing home neglect:
- Your loved one slips and often falls: Accidents that happen occasionally are understandable. However, if your loved one has regular slip-and-fall incidents, this suggests they are not receiving enough care and attention.
- Unexplained bruises and fractures: If your loved one has fractures or bruises and no detailed explanation from the staff, you should talk to an attorney immediately.
- Incorrect medication: If your loved one receives the wrong medication often, this is a significant warning sign. The facility should always carefully document mismanaged medication, which only sometimes happens.
- Silence: Is your loved one reluctant to talk to you for no reason? An unusual emotional withdrawal should be taken as a sign of potential neglect.
- Wants legal document changes: If your loved one wants to change their will or financial institutions and you do not know why there could be a problem.
State And Federal Laws Regulating Nursing Homes
State and federal laws are in place to protect people from nursing home neglect and abuse. For example, the US Nursing Home Reform Act was passed in 1987 and protects nursing home residents’ mental and physical well-being. Also, the Illinois Nursing Home Care Act includes several state laws regulating all nursing homes. This provides everyone in Illinois with well-defined rights.
Talk To A Rockford Nursing Home Neglect Attorney
Whether the nursing home in Rockford is near Klehm Arboretum, Burpee Museum of Natural History, or somewhere else, you should be concerned if your loved one shows signs of neglect. Our Rockford nursing home neglect attorneys can help.
Our attorneys serve nursing home neglect victims and their families in Boone County, Rockford, Belvedere, Loves Park, DeKalb, Poplar Grove, Byron, Freeport, and the surrounding area. Please contact one of the attorneys at Fisk & Monteleone at 815-962-0044 today.