Driving anywhere is a dangerous endeavor. Driving in an area you are unfamiliar with can be even more dangerous. These areas can be full of crime including drug dealing and prostitution. Not knowing the specific streets or areas to avoid can put you in direct danger. Consider for a moment what it might feel like to drive down a quiet, dark street alone only to stumble into someone dealing drugs in the middle of the street just ahead of you. There is a good possibility that person may be armed and they are unlikely to be very welcoming to you as you interrupt their business dealings.
Not only is driving in an unfamiliar area potentially dangerous, but it can also put you in a position of not knowing where to get help. If you think about your own neighborhood, for a moment, chances are good that you know where to find a police station or hospital. Driving in an area you do not know, you may not have any idea where the closes hospital is or where to find police.
Tips for Driving in an Unknown Area
Sometimes, driving in unknown areas may be unavoidable. You may have to go to your friend’s new house or maybe you even got lost. Whatever the case may be, there are several things you can pay attention to that will help keep you safe. These items include the following:
1. Watch your speed: Driving in an unfamiliar area can be daunting enough. Speeding may only make it worse.
2. Do not solely rely on GPS: Satellite technology has made the world a safer, more effective place. That being said, however, GPS does not always work correctly. It also is not aware of road conditions, accidents, construction, and other factors that can affect your ability to get somewhere. Have a backup plan in place such as a physical road map to use if GPS does not help.
3. Research the area beforehand: Doing a little bit of online research about an area before driving through it can pay dividends. You will be able to see if there are any tolls required for payment or if there is a large construction project taking place.
4. Drive the right type of car: If you know beforehand that you will be driving through an area with country roads or non-paved roadways, you may prefer to drive an SUV or four-wheel drive vehicle compared to a smaller, rear-wheel-drive car.
5. Watch all trafficking signs and signals: This goes without saying, but traffic signs and signals can be especially important in unfamiliar areas. Obey all traffic signs and signals, they are there for good reason.
Driving in an unfamiliar area may sound scary at first. The experience of doing it need not be scary, however, if the right precautions are taken. Do your homework beforehand and take your time. Doing so can be the difference between a safe trip and an Illinois car accident.
If you are in a crash in or near the greater Rockford area, the Rockford car accident lawyers at Fisk & Monteleone, Ltd., can help you file a claim for financial compensation.
Speak to a Rockford Car Accident Lawyer Today
For more tips on how to safely navigate through unfamiliar areas or if you have been involved in an accident in the Rockford area, do not hesitate to reach out to one of the talented Rockford car accident attorneys at Fisk & Monteleone, Ltd. by calling 815-962-0044.
Our staff will be happy to assist you and answer any questions you may have. And consultations to discuss car accident experiences with a lawyer are always complimentary.